Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Light Up Your Yard: DIY Candle Holders!


I have a bizarre obsession with candles. I have them all over my apartment and backyard. Yes, I have a backyard in NYC in the middle of Manhattan. I know that I'm lucky. My dad knows the owner of the building and got me the hookup. (To be totally honest with you, I think the main reason he did it was because my parents re-did the pool area in the Hamptons and he wanted me to take the old furniture.)
 

 
The problem with the backyard? Once the sun goes down it's so dark! I knew I needed to bring some of my candles outside. Most of my candle holders aren't weather proof so I knew I needed to upgrade. Yes, my dad did help me find this apartment, no he doesn't care that it's dark out there, so I knew I was on my own. I bought some plain glasses cheaply to do this project.
 



After choosing three nail polishes, I was ready to get to work decorating. I used masking tape to tape random stripes around the glass to give it a geometric look.
 
 


After the taping was done, I used the three nail polishes to paint in the shapes. I did two coats for each color.
 
 
 
 
While that glass dried I taped straight lines on the second glass. Then I painted each stripe with the three polishes.
 
 
 
 
Finally, for the third glass, I dribbled each polish over the glass for a splatter paint effect.

 
 
 After putting in small candles, I placed the candle holders and some seashells on a table in the backyard. I was quite proud of my creation, if I do say so myself.
 
 
 
 
I also needed to add something to my window sill because it was lacking personality. Fine, that's an understatement - the chipping paint on the crumbling stone was awful. For this spot I had sprinkled some shells and glass stones, but it was still missing something - obviously a candle! I used my trusty hot glue gun to write the word 'love' on the glass.
 
 
 
After letting the glue dry, I painted it white so the word would pop.
 
 
 
 
 
 Perfectly Glossed Kisses,
 
Sutton

No comments:

Post a Comment

health and beauty