Monday, March 3, 2014

Kindah Khalidy: Art & Wearable Art That Will Brighten Your Routine



We stumbled upon the accessories of painter and designer Kindah Khalidy and, totally addicted, started checking out the rest of her work. Her paintings leap to life in their boldness and vibrant palettes, and she applies this aesthetic to covetable, “wearable” art, with a side of whimsy. Considering that we’re adding her strawberry-print leather bucket bag, painting-print tanks, graphic scarves and statement pouches to our shopping lists, we thought we’d get to know the genius behind it all just a bit.

Image of "Museum Day #2" Hand Painted Tank Top 


Sobbing On Fifth: How did you get into art and designing? Did you always know you wanted to be an artist?


Kindah Khalidy: I have always been drawing and I was obsessed with craft projects growing up. I knew that I wanted to be a designer and artist, and I've just been focusing in more and more on what I really want to make. Studying draping and garment structure in high school was a pivotal time for me. I fell in love with painting in college. I'm constantly combining these two passions, but they're also really enjoyable to work on independently. 

Image of Strawberry Print Leather Drawstring Bucket Bag 


SOF: What are some of your favorite materials to work with?


KK: Gouache, canvas, sequins, wood, watercolor paper. 


SOF: Where do you find inspiration?


KK: I take a lot of photos of unsuspected color combinations. 

Image of Big Sur Silk Scarf 


SOF: How did you get into translating your artwork into accessories? 


KK: I like the idea of creating mini collections, sometimes of clothing but mostly accessories. I couldn't find the fabrics that I was looking for in fabric stores or wearable textiles in clothing boutiques...so I decided to start making them.


SOF: How have you found the response so far to your wearable art? 


KK: Surprising. I love hearing people say, "I would totally wear that," about a giant moomoo covered in rainbow appliqué blobs.


Image of Ice Cream Sprinkle Zipper Clutch 


SOF: How would you describe your own personal style?
 

KK: Comfy, sporty, elderly.



SOF: Are there any other kinds of art or design you’d like to get into in the future? Any other kinds of accessories or clothing?
 

KK: More clothing silhouettes and designing for interiors.

Image of Mini Abstract Art Print Leather Zipper Pouch 



SOF: What is your favorite place to shop?


KK: That's tough! I have a few go-to boutiques but I'm usually on the hunt for one specific item.


SOF: What’s the last thing you bought?


KK: A cup of delicious coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

health and beauty