Tuesday, March 18, 2014

SOF Scoop: Alynne Lavigne Jewelry

 

Sophisticated yet fun, luxe yet accessible, unique yet wearable - we're obsessed with Alynne Lavigne jewelry for a lot of reasons - well-balanced reasons. The Canadian design duo infuses chic, minimalist creations with a healthy helping of personality and a dash of quirk, making their line really stand out. We heard from Alynne Lavigne and Eve Tobolka about what makes their brand tick.

 



Sobbing On Fifth: You started the line after becoming friends and realizing you were both jewelry-obsessed. What were you both doing before? Had you ever designed?


Alynne: I was getting a fine art degree and I used to make my own clothes a lot, Just a Girl-era Gwen Stefani was a pretty big influence for me growing up. 


Eve: I was completing a journalism degree. Summer camp craft time exploring the art of gimp, hemp, bead, and even wire jewelry were my jams.



SOF: How would you describe your personal style?


A: Pretty simple. I pair vintage with basics a lot.  Eve's the one with the wardrobe; she's my style icon/muse.


E: Anything goes as long as they’re all love pieces!  My husband calls it crazy.

 



SOF: Did you start the line with a certain aesthetic in mind? How would you say that’s evolved?


A: At first we were just collecting vintage jewelry, so when we started to design, there was already such a wealth of inspiration.  The design collection is still inspired by vintage, but those references get more specific with each season.  I love using ball chain - it’s a total nod to growing up in the 90's. 

 



SOF: Where do you find inspiration for your designs?


A: Besides the vintage collection, I'm inspired by the work stylists do quite often.


E: Personal style going beyond what’s trendy, no matter what form, is totally fun, inspiring and even brave.



Do you have a favorite piece or something you wear everyday?


A: I wear the Pendant Necklace a lot, I layer it. Our Ball Chain Necklace and the Knuckle Ring also get a lot of play.


E: The Tri-line and Solid rings are loves and the Numeral Pin is an everyday no brainer for me. 

 



SOF: What have some major moments been since the line started – any “I can’t believe this is happening” milestones?


A: Being in Vogue Japan a few times has been really cool. Twin Shadow seems to really like our stuff, which warms my heart. 


E: I’m really proud of the Numeral Pin we designed with stylist Solange Franklin. It’s truly a costume piece and lends to era of statement pins that I only hope will experience a renaissance. 

 



SOF: What would you want people to know about your newest designs?


A: I'd like people to know that I work on every single piece that goes out the door. 


E: Made in Toronto.

 



SOF: Where are your favorite spots to shop?


A: In Toronto I probably buy most of my clothes at Chosen or 69 Vintage.  


E: 6 by Gee Beauty carries a really great selection of local and international designers along with Fawn, Jonathan and Olivia, and Easy Tiger for gifts I always want to keep.



SOF: What’s the last thing you bought?


A: This rust colored mohair turtleneck from Chosen, a Hoi Bo bag made out of paper fabric and dinner at The Black Hoof.  


E: The answer to that is almost always a bag of chips, but most recently I couldn’t resist the Kara dry bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

health and beauty